Each semester, our Campus Ministry team plans and implements activities
in both fellowship and faith for our college-aged parishioners.
Activities and ministries have previously included:
- Abbey Fest- Held at St. Joseph’s Abbey in Covington, Abbey Fest is an all-day event that everyone should experience. About 5000 students and adults attend. There are great speakers, music, Confession, Mass, and candlelight Adoration after the sun goes down.
- Aquinas Night-We invite amazing Catholics to speak on various aspects of the faith related to college students. The night concludes with Adoration and worship. Don't miss out on these nights!
- Ask a Priest- Have questions about the faith? Fr. André will be right outside the Union every other Thursday, ready to answer questions or just hang out.
- Christmas Party- The “UGLY” Sweater Christmas Party is always a hit with the Colonel Catholics. Great food, a photo booth with props, a gingerbread house decorating contest, and of course the “White Elephant” gift exchange make the party a blast.
- Colonel Awakening- Developed by the Houma-Thibodaux Diocese’s own Bishop Emeritus Sam Jacobs, the retreat has spread to colleges throughout the United States. The goal of the weekend is to bring young adults into a personal encounter with Jesus.
- End-of-the Year Party- After a long semester, it is time for some “Fun in the Sun” for our Colonel Catholics. Games and a water slide are set up outside and burgers and links of sausage are on the grill. It is just a great way to unwind and relax.
- Eucharistic Processions- Several times throughout the year, we hold outdoor processions through campus, praying for our students and consecrating our campus to Christ.
- Fall/Spring Retreat- Need an opportunity to get away from the academic world to connect with others and with the Lord at the beach? Activities include Mass, lots of prayer time, and fellowship!
- Halloween Party-Pumpkin carving and costume contest! An opportunity to have a good time!
- Jamaica Mission Trip- Every December, we travel to Kingston, Jamaica, to work with the Missionaries of the Poor.
- March for Life- Colonel Catholics represent our parish every year at the National March for Life in Washington, D.C. We march with over 600,000 people for an end to abortion and other attacks on the dignity of human life.
- Mercy Monday- All-day Adoration and Reconciliation from 7:30a.m. -5:30p.m.
- Missionaries of Charity & Abortion Clinic-Each month the Colonel Catholics takes a trip to help the Missionaries of Charity feed the poor and to pray in front of the abortion clinic in Baton Rouge.
- Move-In Day- The Colonels Catholics help new students move in and invite them to come and join our community.
- Not On Bread Alone- Come by for a delicious lunch and some fellowship every other Thursday during the semester.
- Nursing Home Visit-The folks at the home love when our students visit and participate in different activities.
- Praise & Worship in the Quad- Held in the Quad of Nicholls State University, this is an opportunity to gather and publicly witness to our faith as we worship outside the church walls.
- Silent retreat- Colonel Catholics take some much needed time just to “let go and let God.” With so many assignments, deadlines and tests during the semester, students can enjoy this great time to let the Holy Spirit help them feel renewed.
- Tabling in the Union- Tabling is an opportunity for our staff and students to evangelize in the Union. We always have free stuff to give out. Come by our table in the Union and say hello.
- Tailgating - We have lots of fun, food, and games before the football games and all under our Colonel Catholic tent located on the student side of the field. Come out and enjoy time with the Colonel Catholics and cheer on the Colonels.
- Theology of the Body- An amazing gathering to study together Pope John Paul II’s Theology of the Body. We explore man’s most fundamental questions about life, our destiny, sexuality, and the answers contained in Scripture.
- Trips to the Seminary/ Convent- We have several Colonel Catholics now in the seminary. Several times throughout the year, we go to visit them and some wonderful sisters at nearby convents for fellowship, prayer and food.
- Valentine’s Party- What is a Valentine’s Day party without crowning our very own Colonel Catholic Sweetheart and a Colonel Catholic Beau? We also have great food, games, and fellowship.